Well it’s been six months since I have started thing blog. The original goal was to use this as a ‘short sketches’ of what I wanted to write in the book. My thoughts were that I would do research into a topic, post about what I read, and then explore the topic in more detail in the book version. The book has now morphed into what I’m considering a ‘writing project’ because I don’t know if this blog will eventually be the end product or what form the book will take.
some things have gone well..
- I’m sticking to my goal of three posts per week.
- I’ve had some very good blog posts.
- Many of the posts are fairly meaty.
- I’m really finding my stride when it comes to writing style of posts.
There are some areas for improvement.
- The house move really knocked me off my game in the long form writing department and I seriously under estimated how long the ‘settling in’ process will take. Hint: moving a family into a new house takes YEARS.
- Because I haven’t done the book research there is less research based posts as I would like.
- Their are very very very few readers of this blog.
- I have rarely used any sort of categorizing.
- I’ve got quite a few twitter followers but I think they are just using my twitter (@pelusopresents) as a way to beef up their own numbers. I should get a spike in readership every time I make a post, but that rarely happens.
I’m thinking about the future.
- I really need to redesign the blog to allow for better discovery of my different categories. I would really like the categories to align with the book.
- Next year i’m going to enhance and repost several of my blog posts from this year, hopefully with more fleshed out information and / or better media.. i.e. videos, photos, etc.. .
- I’m going to redesign the blog so that email registration can happen with much less friction.
- I need to find someone who is good at wordpress and webdesign.
We got the party started.. but there isn’t too many people in the building.. I’ve got a year to change that.